Pretend play, well where do I begin. There’s so much more than just dressing up or cooking with imaginary food. I’d go as far as saying that pretend play is one of the most important forms of play a child can have and pretend play using puppets is one of the easiest ways to do this. Puppets aren’t threatening, they’re friendly and they’re funny! Today we’re talking about the benefits of pretend play using puppets brings to a child’s life. If you’re not 100% sure about what pretend play is, then I suggest you check out my article Pretend Play & Why Your Kids Need More of It.
What’s So Great About Pretend Play Using Puppets?
You may have heard of Punch and Judy? This quarrelsome pair of puppets used to be a feature on beaches in the UK entertaining families on holiday. They’re one of the most well-known original hand puppet shows, starting back in the mid 1900’s. Then there’s Sesame Street which has many fabulous characters such as Elmo, Oscar the Grouch and the Count. You may be forgiven for thinking that hand and finger puppets were taking over the world, but we if have anything to do with it, they will be!
When a child uses either finger or hand puppets in their play, they:
- Build social skills through interacting with the puppets
- Improve communication skills by talking with the puppets and having their puppet talk with others
- Learn social rules and behaviours by modelling with puppets activities and conversations they have seen
- Encourage creativity and have the freedom to express themselves through a puppet
- Assist with emotional development by using the puppet as a friend
- Improve motor development through manipulating the hand puppet
- Boost self-confidence through expressing themselves with a puppet
What Makes a Good Puppet?
A good puppet is one which belongs to a child. It can be a sock puppet with stickers for eyes or a photo of a TV character glued onto a stick. A good puppet is any puppet a child feels comfortable playing with, home made or ready made.
If you are wanting to purchase a great puppet which is all ready to play with, I recommend our range of finger puppets and hand puppets. They’re beautifully made, long lasting, safe and fun to play with. Take a look through our affordable puppet range and I’m certain you’ll love them as much as I do!