Board games have been around for thousands of years and in multiple countries around the world. Many board games have been adapted from older games such as Chess or Snakes and Ladders, both of which originally came from India before heading to Europe.
One of the longest continuously played table top games is called Go. It’s a Chinese game which was first played more than 3000 years ago, and it is still very popular in Asia today. Believe it or not, Tic Tac Toe or Noughts and Crosses are adaptions of games played in ancient Egypt and Rome. Variations of Checkers have even been played since at least 3000BC!
So, why have board games proven to be an eternally popular activity for both kids and adults to engage with? Well …
Why Are Board Games So Popular with Kids and Adults?
We can’t deny it. Board games are loved by people of all ages. In 2016, they had a 3.2 US billion dollar market value. This is predicted to reach 8.12 US billion by 2021! Other than being a traditional form of entertainment, why are they so popular? Here’s why:
- Engaging in games is an escape from our digital worlds and our screens.
- Playing table top games is a great way to increase brain function. It has been noted that people that play these games have ample opportunities to use their decision making and problem solving skills. It’s also a great way to reduce or slow Alzheimer’s disease by keeping the brain active.
- They’re great entertainment value, helping make people happy and feel good, encourage laughter, and helping to reduce stress through relaxation.
- It can be a great way for family, friends, and newcomers alike to come together to bond over a common goal.
- It teaches you to set goals and use strategy. Just as in life, you need to know where you are going to go and how you’re going to get there. Board games are great for this, as you need both patience and strategy to play well.
- Playing games enhances creativity and builds confidence. It makes you think about the best way to move forward in the game and gives you more confident in your own skills. The knowledge and experiences learnt can then lead to you trying new things in the real world.
Top Board Games for Kids
At Squoodles we offer a range of kids’ board games for children of all ages. Some of our most popular games are the traditional Snakes and Ladders and Chinese Checkers wooden board games. The Flying Kiwis Board Game is also a hot favourite! Look through our range of educational wooden games and place your order today! If there’s something missing, please tell us and we’ll do our best to add it to our range.