When it comes to choosing gifts for a newborn, it can be hard to know what to buy. Should you pick something for the nursery, a keepsake for the parents or a few baby accessories you know they’ll need each day? As NZ’s greatest toy and gift shop for kids, we’ve put together a few tips to make choosing gifts for a newborn much easier.
7 Tips to Make Choosing Gifts for a Newborn Simple
Giving a new baby gifts both before and after they’re born has been something we’ve been doing for generations.
Whether you’re needing to get a baby shower present or a gift for a baby who’s just been born, here are seven tips to make choosing that present a piece of cake!
- One of the easiest things to do is ask the new mum what she’d like you to give. Often there are some items new parents would like to purchase themselves and others they’re happy to be given. Some parents even have a gift registry set up.
- Give the new baby something you found incredibly useful with your baby. When my boys were little, I really loved being given baby bibs! They’re useful, kept my washing pile down and I couldn’t get enough of them. The best bibs I found were the teething baby bibs. These looked amazing, were easy to keep clean and had a removable wooden teething ring at the bottom. This kept everyone happy when those teeth started arriving.
- Consider safety implications of baby items. We’re lucky in NZ that we have stringent safety requirements on products for children. Ensure you purchase products which meet these requirements and choose age appropriate toys.
- Give a keepsake gift to the parents. We all know that babies grow and change so fast, making memories incredibly precious. A Baby Ink Inkless Printing Kit would be perfect, allowing parents to capture their baby’s footprint forever while it is so tiny. View our range of different colours and sizes of Baby Ink products to choose your favourite.
- Don’t forget mum! She’s played and will continue to play a huge role in the life of her newborn. So, when choosing gifts for a newborn, think about something you can do for or give to her too.
- If you want to give clothes, pick bigger sizes! While newborn clothes are cute, they won’t be worn for long and often the baby receives plenty in this size. Instead choose ones sized from three months up.
- There’s nothing wrong with giving the new baby the basics! By this I mean baby wipes, nappies, singlets, socks, shampoo and even nappy rash cream! After all, there’s a high chance they’ll all be used.
Do you have any tips you can share with us about how to pick a gift for a newborn? What are some of your go-to gifts and which were the favourites that you received? Tell us in the comments below.